Denver Uber and Lyft Accident LawyerRequest Free Consultation
Since Uber was founded in 2009 disrupting the global taxi industry, other rideshare companies like Lyft have also emerged. Customers are hooked on the convenience of “hailing” a cab from their smartphone wherever they are. Whether you are in your local city or visiting a new city, all you need is access to your rideshare app to get a car at your location. Unlike traditional taxi companies, rideshare companies do not own the vehicles that deliver services to their customers.
Vehicles are owned by third-parties who register with the rideshare company and access customers on the rideshare platform. Many rideshare drivers use their personal vehicles to provide services on platforms like Uber and Lyft. This little detail can be a big problem if you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident.
If you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident due to the negligence of the Uber or Lyft driver, you may be entitled to compensation. The Denver Uber and Lyft accident attorneys at Fuicelli & Lee can help you understand your legal rights and get compensation for your injuries. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Why Choose Fuicelli & Lee
- Fuicelli & Lee, is an accomplished Denver personal injury law firm, representing clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of someone else’s reckless or careless actions.
- As a boutique law firm, we do not measure our success by the volume of cases we handle, but by the difference we make in our clients’ lives.
- Many firms are intimidated to go to trial and don’t have the experience needed to win in court. All of our attorneys are former prosecutors with 20+ years of experience.
- We truly care about our clients. We specifically limit our case docket to ensure every client receives our undivided attention.
If you have been injured in a rideshare accident due to the negligence of an Uber or Lyft driver, call the Denver Uber and Lyft accident attorneys at Fuicelli & Lee today. Your initial consultation is free, and we will be honest and straightforward with you about the merits of your case. Time may be running out to make a claim for compensation, so give us a call today at (303) 355-7202 to schedule your free consultation.
What Is a Transportation Network Company?
Under Colorado state law, a transportation network company is any transportation services business that uses a digital network to connect riders to drivers. The business could be a corporation like Uber and Lyft or a sole proprietorship. The law assumes that a transportation network company does not own, operate, control or manage any of the vehicles used by drivers to provide transportation services to riders. Essentially, a transportation network company refers to what we know more popularly as rideshare companies.
Financial Requirements of Transportation Network Companies
Recognizing the difficulties that may arise when Uber and Lyft drivers cause injury or death while providing their services, Colorado state has enacted laws to require adequate insurance coverage for rideshare drivers. The responsibility for adequate insurance coverage falls equally on the rideshare company and the driver. The law makes a distinction between when a driver is connected to the platform and delivering a ride service and when a driver is not.
Coverage Requirement While Delivering a Rideshare Service
A rideshare driver must have insurance coverage in the amount of at least one million dollars ($1,000,000) for every accident.
Coverage Requirement While on the Platform But Not Delivering Rideshare Service
The rideshare company or the driver must have insurance coverage that meets the following requirements:
- The insurance policy must recognize that the driver is a rideshare driver and covers the driver for their rideshare services
- Must cover at the minimum:
- $50,000 for one person in an accident
- $100,000 for all persons in an accident
- $30,000 for property damage
- The insurance policy must be either of the following:
- A rider to the driver’s personal vehicle insurance which covers the use of a vehicle for rideshare purposes; or
- The rideshare business’s corporate liability insurance policy coverage that applies when the driver is logged on the rideshare platform.
Rideshare companies are responsible for ensuring that the drivers on their network have adequate insurance. Although the law provides that both the driver and the rideshare company have financial obligations for insurance, the rideshare company is responsible for compliance.
Safety Requirements for Rideshare Drivers
Although rideshare drivers are typically not employees of rideshare companies, the rideshare companies are responsible for the safe provision of services to riders.
Rideshare companies must ensure the following:
- That all drivers on their network are:
- Mentally and physically fit to drive
- At least 21 years old
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess proof of adequate vehicle insurance
- Possess proof of a valid Colorado vehicle registration
- That no driver provides rideshare services for more than twelve consecutive hours.
- That the rideshare company has a policy that does not allow for any level of intoxication for drivers providing services, and is made available to the public.
- That vehicle safety inspections are conducted on every vehicle in use through their network.
How Can I Get Compensation for My Uber or Lift Accident Injuries?
The facts of your case will determine how you get compensation for your injuries. If the accident was caused by the driver’s reckless or careless driving as defined under Colorado state laws, you may have a successful negligence claim against the driver.
You may also have a claim against the rideshare company if the accident was a result of their failure to meet the safety requirements set out by Colorado state law.
An experienced Denver Uber and Lyft accident attorney will have the resources to conduct a full investigation of your accident. As the injured party, you must prove that either the driver or the rideshare company failed in their duty of care to you, and that failure caused your injuries. Proving this requires the expertise of other investigators who you may not have access to on your own. You may also need the expertise of an economist who can put a value on any non-economic losses you may have suffered as a result of your injuries.
Contact a Denver Uber and Lyft Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident due to no fault of your own, the law gives you a limited amount of time to make a claim. Your attorney will need time to investigate your case and gather the evidence needed to make your claim. The earlier work on your case begins, the sooner you can get compensation and put the accident behind you. At Fuicelli & Lee, we offer free initial consultations. We will let you know right away if we believe in the merits of your case. Call us today at (303) 355-7202 to schedule your free consultation.