For many of our clients, motorcycling isn’t just a method of transportation; it’s a lifestyle. While the thrill of driving on Colorado’s scenic roads on a motorcycle is exciting, it also carries a greater risk for injury in the event of a crash.
If you’ve been hurt or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, call Fuicelli & Lee, P.C. today at (303) 355-7202 to discuss your case for free with an experienced Denver motorcycle accident attorney. We serve injury victims across Colorado’s front range, including Denver, Longmont and Pueblo. Se habla Español.
On this page, we discuss the following:
- Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Motorcycle Wreck Injuries
- Fatal Motorcycle Crashes
- Potential Damages in a Motorcycle Crash Case
- Colorado Helmet Law
- Defective Motorcycles
- How Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help You
- Speak with Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today for Free
Most motorcyclists ride responsibly and demonstrate caution on the road. Statistically, wrecks that involve motorcycles are typically caused by operators of passenger vehicles. Some of the most common causes include:
- Aggressive, selfish driving by cars unwilling to share the road with motorcycles
- Failure to notice a motorcycle lawfully driving on the road
- Left turns in front of a motorcycle
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Improperly placed or maintained road hazards
- Distracted driving, especially texting while driving
It’s significant to note that you can seek damages even in cases where another vehicle doesn’t actually collide with your motorcycle. For example, if you suffered injuries because a driver cut you off and forced you to veer off the road, you may still be able to pursue damages from the driver who caused your crash.
When you’re dealing with the financial, physical and emotional hardships brought on by a severe injury, maximum compensation isn’t extravagant; it’s necessary. You may be facing lost wages, high medical bills, pain and disability.
When you work with the skilled motorcycle accident lawyers at Fuicelli & Lee, P.C., we will fight aggressively on your behalf and stand beside you throughout each stage of your recovery and legal process. We will:
- Take time to understand your side of the story
- Provide an honest, straightforward evaluation of your case
- Carefully investigate the details of your accident to determine the parties responsible for your injuries
- Pursue maximum compensation for your losses
- Litigate in court or negotiate a fair settlement
Motorcycle accidents are rarely simple fender-benders. Because motorcyclists have little protection in an impact, motorcycle wrecks tend to involve more traumatic injuries than those involving passenger vehicles. Even when wearing protective gear, motorcycle crashes often result in:
- Brain injuries: One of the most devastating types of injuries, brain injuries can lead to headaches, mood swings, memory loss and cognitive. A brain injury can also result in impaired limb function, comatose states, abnormal speech and severe emotional struggles.
- Spinal cord injuries: Motorcycle accidents often cause traumatic spinal cord injuries which can result in paralysis. Paralysis victims can suffer both temporary and permanent impairment. Treatment and care of these injuries often require surgery, nursing care and intense physical, occupational or speech therapy.
- Road rash: Road rash injuries consist of painful bruises and abrasions that occur when a motorcycle rider is thrown or dragged from their bike during a crash. Pain and heavy bleeding are typical symptoms. Road rash often refers to both the initial injury and the subsequent scaring that remains after the wound heals. Types of road rash injuries include:
- Cuts and Scrapes Requiring Stitches – These are open wounds caused by road surfaces grating against skin, often at high speeds. These require stitches to close the wound and facilitate healing. Infection is a huge risk with these types of injuries.
- Compression Injuries – When an arm or leg becomes wedged between the bike and the road, these crushing or bruising injuries are a common result.
- Avulsion Injuries – The most serious type of road rash, these wounds are deep scrapes where all layers of skin are stripped away leaving severe scarring. In a full-thickness wound, muscle and fat may be visible. These injuries usually necessitate skin grafts.
- Broken bones: When exposed to extreme force, bones often break or crack. While many fractures are effectively treated with casts or splints, more complicated fractures may involve surgery and rehabilitation.
Injuries sustained from motorcycle crashes are often fatal. If you’ve lost someone you love in a wreck, no monetary award can undo the heartache that you and your family are experiencing. However, compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit can mitigate the undue financial strain caused by your loss. As the spouse or dependent of a loved one killed in an accident, you may be able to recover compensation for the:
- Loss of your loved one’s wages and benefits
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of companionship
There may be other damages not included in the list above, for which compensation may be awarded. Speak for free to one of our experienced attorneys today to learn more.
At Fuicelli & Lee, P.C., our goal is to obtain full and fair compensation for your injuries. While we cannot guarantee specific outcomes, we can promise that our experienced attorneys will work tirelessly on your behalf to hold those responsible for your losses accountable.
Depending on the unique details of your case, compensation may be awarded for damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Physical rehabilitation
- Job rehabilitation
- Prescription medications
If you’ve been hurt in a motorcycle accident, our Denver motorcycle accident attorneys want to hear your story, how the wreck occurred and how the injury has affected your life. It costs you nothing to call us today. Let us put our knowledge, experience and skill to work for you. Our Denver accident lawyers will not charge a fee unless we win. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation.
Colorado is among the majority of U.S. states that do not have universal helmet laws. However, several states that do have such laws have seen dramatic drops in motorcycle fatalities immediately after enacting those laws. Conversely, some states have seen the numbers go back up after abolishing universal helmet laws.
Actually, Colorado was one of the first states to enact a universal helmet law, but that was done because of a federal law passed in 1967 tying federal highway funds to helmet laws. When the 1967 law was abolished, Colorado’s universal helmet law soon followed. Colorado does have a helmet law today, but it does not require all motorcyclists to wear one. Colorado’s helmet law has the following stipulations:
- Helmets must be worn by riders aged 17 and younger.
- Helmets may have speakers
- All riders must wear eye protection
- Any motorcycle helmets sold in Colorado must be Department of Transportation-approved
Many safety experts encourage all motorcyclists in Colorado to wear helmets regardless of the absence of a universal helmet law. Wearing a helmet does not make a rider impervious to injury, but it can go a long way toward reducing the severity of injuries. There are several other things riders can do aside from wearing a helmet to increase their level of safety. Riding leathers, including gloves and boots are very helpful, as are rider safety courses designed to help provide motorcyclists gain the knowledge and skills that they can use to avoid crashes in the first place. Many traffic accidents are speed-related, making them much more deadly for a motorcyclist. Driving the speed limit can actually go a long way toward keeping motorcyclists safe.
In some cases, motorcycle accidents aren’t the result or driver negligence, but due to the defective design or manufacture of the bike itself. Examples of motorcycle defects include:
- Defective brakes
- Defective tires
- Defective fuel system
- Malfunctioning seats
- Accelerators that stick
- Defective helmet
The Denver motorcycle accident attorneys at Fuicelli & Lee, P.C. know how to successfully navigate the complexities of defective product cases. We will determine the true cause of the accident. If a designer or manufacturer is responsible for a defect, and did not properly warn people who purchased the bike, we will diligently fight for justice on your behalf. Fuicelli & Lee, P.C. has successfully represented motorcycle accident victims throughout Colorado. We have the knowledge, skill, and necessary to ensure you get the exceptional legal counsel you deserve. Call us today to discuss your case for free.
We want to hear from you. Call us today at (303) 355-7202 for a free case review. We serve Denver, Longmont, Pueblo, and other areas throughout the Front Range. Our Denver Personal Injury attorneys handle motorcycle accident cases on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning that you owe us nothing unless we reach a successful outcome in your case.